CURRENTLY HIRING CONTRIBUTORS! CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT THE FORM.

Friday, April 9, 2010

New Tunes #1: Feist and Vanessa Carlton

Hope you folks had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I’m hoping to post every two or three days when I’m free, but once the week is over (*cry*) I will be doing scheduled posts (I hope) so that this blog isn’t totally dead. Woohoo! Also, be sure to check out my contests page later today! :D

Anywho, I’m sure you noticed the new font. Like it? I’m simply loving it!

Another new thing! I’m adding a new feature. I think below it says it’s called something like “Unconscious Mutterings” or whatever, but just ignore it. For now, I’m calling it “New Tunes”. Basically, I list the songs that I recently downloaded (for me, it’s iTunes. For others, it may be Napster, Limewire, Amazon, whatever; it must be DOWNLOADED, not hardcopy albums you bought from Target or Wal-Mart or Costco), and I give mini reviews for them. If you’d like to participate in this meme, just make a post called “New Tunes” (with or without a schnazzy title; I’m just always going to put the artists’ names unless I encounter a stroke of genius for the title), write about your new songs (or podcasts, apps, iTunes games, whatever), post, and come back over here and go to Mr Linky below (after saying “hello” to him, of course. I think he’s going to be my new online BFF, seriously. It’s so AWESOME!!). Be sure that you link back to my blog in your post!! If you don’t, I will bother you about that for the rest of your life!!! (Kidding, kidding…sort of. No, but really. Do it.) Now, my turn!

“1234″ by Feist from The Reminder (2007). Written by Sally Seltmann and Leslie Feist. I first heard about this song thanks to my dear friends Summermoon and Jess (love you gals!) on Twitter. At first, when I listened to it on Project Playlist, I thought it was a little too odd and quirky for my taste. But for some random reason, months later, I wanted to listen to it again and decide what I thought of it again. I guess I started liking odd and quirky, because I loved it the second time around. I simply couldn’t get it out of my head for days on end, and finally decided to buy it. SO glad I did. Loved the songwriting–pure genius. And I simply adore the jazzy-twangy sound it has to it. It’s like KT Tunstall, Norah Jones, and Alison Krauss mixed in to one song. (P.S. I have yet to watch the video that the title links to.) Score: 10/10

“Nolita Fairytale” by Vanessa Carlton from Heroes and Thieves (2007). Written by Vanessa Carlton and Stephan Jenkins. I randomly found this song on Project Playlist when I was trying to look for more Vanessa Carlton songs. The name struck me as interesting (and you all know my penchant for fairytales), and I loved it from the start! If there is an award for “Best Use of Instruments”, this should win it. I love how the piano mixes in with the funky percussion beat of the drums. The piano totally reminds me of some Internet game I used to play…I forget what’s it called, but anyway, I love everything about this song! The uneven rhythm, the poetic lyrics (Vanessa is fab at this), you name it. Go! Listen to it! Score: 10/10

“White Houses” by Vanessa Carlton from White Houses – Single (2004). Written by Vanessa Carlton and Stephan Jenkins. I found this at the same time as “Nolita Fairytale”, and I was quite eager to listen to this one, as I think it was either Anilee or Erin who had this as their tweet or their gchat status update once. From the start, I loved it. I never knew Vanessa had such a wide range with her voice, and the lyrics pretty much sell, although if you find out what it’s about it’s not very clean. I love songs that I can relate to, and this one I definitely couldn’t until the very last verse, so I actually rewrote it so that it’s cleaner–and relatable! Anyway, I thought this song really exemplified what GOOD music is about, and the kind of talent that a REAL singer should show. If there is only one song Vanessa shines in, it’s this one. Score: 10/10

“Heroes and Thieves” by Vanessa Carlton from Heroes and Thieves (2007). Written by Vanessa Carlton. Okay, one last Vanessa song! I heard this also on Project Playlist at the same time as the other two, and thought, “Wait a sec–doesn’t this sound like ‘Ordinary Day’?” And it does. But it’s…different. It’s quite set apart from “Ordinary Day”. Sure, the melody is strangely similar, but it’s such a lovely waltz-y song that it’s easy to tell the two apart and still tell that it’s a Vanessa song. I’m still trying to figure out the meaning of this song–whether it’s a pure love song, or more like a diss-the-ex-lover song–but either way, it reminds me of Robin Hood in that the speaker is having trouble distinguishing heroes and thieves. I dunno about you, but this sounds like story material to me! Score: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment